- 6,500m² GFA
- Transformation of heritage-listed Goods Shed into a vibrant workplace
- Fostering creativity and collaboration through increased visibility and transparency, and creation of formal and informal meeting spaces in the building’s central zones
- 6 star Green Star – Office Interiors v1.1 – for fit-out
- 5 star Green Star - Office As Built v2 rating – for building
- 5 star Green Star - Office Design v2 rating – for building
- First 5 star GBCA rated heritage-listed building in VIC
- Retention of key historical elements including: high ceilings, clerestory windows, exposed trusses and brickwork and cast iron heritage columns
- Re-use of old shed doors, and original roof slate
The transformation of a heritage-listed building into a 5 star Green Star rated workplace that fosters a creative and collaborative work ethic.
The Places Victoria workplace is a purpose-designed office facility within the heritage-listed Goods Shed North. The refurbishment of this building and its transformation into a vibrant workplace shows what is possible when adaptive reuse of building stock is undertaken with a clear vision and a shared goal.
The design solution enables Places Victoria to foster a more creative and collaborative work ethic through increased visibility and transparency, as well as creating active and passive project and meeting spaces within the building’s central zones. Atrium voids enhance interconnection between the ground floor and mezzanine level of the workplace. A feature timber stair interconnects the main entry/reception with the display collaboration space on the ground floor. The area is designed to enable large gatherings and presentations, as well as to expose the visitor visually to the workings of the organisation and the openness of the unique heritage building.
The design aims to achieve an aesthetic response that builds upon the existing and reinterpreted elements. The building’s key historical elements are retained whilst incorporating state-of-the-art technology. Existing materials have also been reused as design features within the space. The old doors from the shed were cleaned and hung as major backdrop to reception. Original slate salvaged from the roof was cleaned and hung as a feature wall. The end result is a dynamic, versatile contemporary workplace that fosters collaboration and innovation.
BPN Sustainability Award - Large Commercial
BPN Sustainability Award - Office Fit-out
IDEA Sustainable Project Award
IDA Corporate Design Award
IDA Environmentally Sustainable Design Award
WAF Shortlist - Interior & Fitout
Planning Minister’s Heritage Award
PCA Heritage & Adaptive Reuses Award