- 11,500m² NLA
- Unite the organisation as a single team. although the tenancy was broken into two main stacks.
- Workplace accommodates 750 staff
- AECOM Sydney workplace is located in a 5 star Green Star building at 420 George Street, Sydney. The tenancy is also 5 Star Green Star certified under the Green Star Office Interiors (v1.1)
- The project meets AECOM’s primary business driver to unite its workforce , relocating from three different sites, (through two separate tenancies in one building) by using stairs and voids
- 20% of net useable area on each level is dedicated to collaborative spaces
- Strategic location of foyer in upper tenancy and staff area in lower creates a shared identity of a vertical campus
- Incorporates longest single-span stairs in the world as an internal ‘spine’
- An internal ‘verandah’ in both tenancies provides opportunities for innovation and collaboration
- Extensive use of recycled materials in the construction of the fit out and use of certified equipment and fittings
The AECOM Sydney workplace reflects the company’s evolving national office model that has been developed across six projects in partnership with BVN.
The 11,500m² project occupies two stacks of floors – nine floors in total – separated by 10 floors of other tenancies. The new office accommodates 850 people previously dispersed across four different locations. AECOM recognised the need for an actual and symbolic hub to unify the business and its five distinct ‘legacy’ divisions.
The strategic location of the foyer in the upper tenancy and staff area in the lower creates a ‘vertical campus’. The project design introduces a series of voids and interconnecting stairs through the existing building to create connections across the tenancy and workforce. This involved cutting out voids through existing pre-tensioned concrete floors.
The execution of meeting spaces, social gathering spaces and open plan work environments across both tenancies provides opportunities and choices for new ways to work, interact and communicate. Through transforming the existing work culture, the Aecom is recognising an increase in collaborative activity and productivity.
This workplace represents design excellence that can be created in partnership with the client, within a limited budget during the GFC and within the constraints of site access and adjacent tenancies operating during fit-out construction.
IDEA Workplace Over 1000sqm Award High Commendation